Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Prickly Pears-Splendor of Autumn





The fall in the Texas Hill Country brings vivid visual treats....fall native flowers, elm trees that are golden with the snap of cooler weather, and unexpected fruits. One of my favorites is the prickly pear, which grows on the native cactus almost everywhere the eye can see.

As you can see, the "pears" have a rich, deep red/purple color, which contrasts with the cool green of the cactus pad. The pears sit atop the pads like proud megaphones, proclaiming God's glory via color, texture and flavor. One can make jam from them but I have not ventured that far, due to the prickly needles on the skins. It takes some doing to peel them, so I've chosen to simply feast on them with my eyes. I hope you will, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment